Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spring Yarns

See what I finished? But wait, it isn't just one sock, it is two!

This is the second fastest pair of socks I've done (but the fastest was a pair of ankle length socks from STR medium weight on size 3 dpns while I was in the car for hours traveling to and from our honeymoon, so I'm not sure that counts really)

I knit these a little shorter than I've been knitting my socks lately because I realized that once I get maybe 3" past the ankle length just doesn't make much difference to me until we're talking knee-highs.

I have lots of nice things to say about this yarn. As you can see, the pooling was minimal and I ended up with nice stripes mostly. Pooling doesn't particularly bother me, but I think it speaks to the dying when the socks end up as nice as this. This yarn is great to knit with too, it is soft and springy. In case you don't remember, this is Simply Sock Yarn in Cherry Blossom from Rock Creek Yarns. Hey MB, I saw an ad for it on Ravelry today, cool!

This, on the other hand, is the scarf of two years. It is important to note that it is actually on the needles again instead of on stitch markers- proof that I am actually working on it now.

I started this two years ago and worked on it on and off during the summer, got sick of it, and for the last year and a half it has been solidly qualified under the "UFO" category. I needed some deeper color this weekend and picked it back up. Maybe it is because I'm used to knitting with fingering weight yarn for socks now, or maybe the humidity just isn't as bad yet, or maybe I finally have the right needles for this, but it is going MUCH better than I felt like it was a couple years ago.

Finally, this is next in my sock yarn queue. The colorway is called "Blueberry Jam" and it is Classic Merino Supersock from Knitting Notions, but it reminds me of irises. From this picture you should be able to see why. I've been wanting to knit with this since I bought it last year, but I was waiting for the right timing with the color. I definitely need to swatch first for this one since the recommended needle size is US 0-1 for 8-9 stitches per inch, which is a little finer gauge than I knit socks at most of the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a two-year-old scarf that won't ever end. Remember that one I was working on for the longest time? I don't even like it anymore!