Sunday, January 18, 2009

Birthday Knitting

January is a birthday month in my family. Yesterday I was able to give both my mom and my sister their respective birthday gifts. Judging by the projects you might think that January is also cable month.

The Cable Footies (pattern by Leigh Radford in One Skein) for my mom are knit in Cascade 220. I would like to knit a pair for myself too sometime, but when I do I think I will probably knit them toe-up instead.

My sister's gift is the Who? hat (pattern from Penguin Purls). Becky likes owls, so I thought she would appreciate this hat. She was also happy that it would be nice and warm (I used Ultra Alpaca). The hat is also me participating in the Hat of the Month group on Ravelry. Either I am softening towards KALs or I am finding one that work for me. I really like this group because there are at least three knit and at least two crochet pattern choices each month. I don't have to knit a hat I don't like and this gives me the option to try crocheting a hat too. If I don't like any pattern option that month I can choose my own too. Maybe I also like it because a hat isn't too much of a commitment and if it gets to be the last week of the month and I haven't knit a hat yet I probably can still participate without knitting 24/7 to catch up.

Both of these are also counting towards my goal of 52 projects in 52 weeks. In addition to these two items, I also finished a coffee cup dishcloth for my own personal dishcloth of the month club.

No comments: